Pages

Monday, January 21, 2008

WHEN I GROW UP I WOULD LIKE TO BE THE PRESIDENT


Sometime in 1985, my primary school teacher asked me. "What would you like to be when you grow up"? Looking back at that time I could not give any answer then, I drew a blank for 8 seconds, then I looked up and saw a poster of the then Nigeria Military Leader General Buhari that has been hanging in my class I answered: "The President". She gave me a smile and said: "Very good". Being the first person to be asked, I realised every other person in my class was saying they wanted to be doctors, lawyers, engineers and so on. That made me feel very stupid, I was the odd one out! Now at that age you can imagine what it means to be the odd one out. Immediately I raised by hand and called out "Aunty" (that's for teacher in Naija), "I want to be a doctor", trying to save face for the playground.

Looking back at that day after so many years I realize I was right! I want to be the President of Nigeria. LOL!. I really do. I am sure you will support my mandate when you here me out.

Nigeria is like a big company. Being the president of a company, it should be my sole responsibility to run my company the way I find fit and beneficial to me, my family and I. Well thats actually what my mind is telling me: "that every Nigerian President had run the affairs of this company, sorry.. country!!! like his own personal business (business as in personal profit making venture) . Fellow Nigerians, because I have seen presidents and head of states come and go, my first initiative as a president will be innovative.

But before I proceed I would like to say I have a vested interest in the current president. By declaring his assets and other things I have seen and heard him do, I would say lets keep a close watch. Obasanjo gave us an impression of a clean and transparent leadership, but as my people would say "otu awu n'ezi" meaning "once beaten twice shy"...

Yardie is here to stay and from what is going, I hope for a difference. So Yardie, you better run it differently or else...

2 comments:

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

I like that - warning him to run it better or else.

Yes, yardy did a good job of declaring his assets and we must all challenge and encourage him to do things differently from past rulers. Of course, the task is not easy but working together, we can do it.

AIQ said...

Hey Solo! An honour to have you around. Thumbs up what you are doing at Nigeria Curiosity. As a Blogger, when I grow up I would like to be like you O! abeg carry Go!