Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Reflection of Naija (my beloved country)?

Its funny how time flies. I am a year older now and I seem not to be getting younger too. Taking a look at my mirror this morning and to an extent I have been ignoring my looks. I used to be a fine guy you know, facial and structure-wise (some of you would say "you wish". Well wait until you hear my mama ramble about my fineness).

But anyway, what I saw today was not funny at all. I had to take a second look and not convinced about what I am seeing I switched on my room light to illuminate my face in case shadows are playing some tricks on me. Men was I disappointed?

I spent the whole day looking and feeling so moody about my discovery. My friend kept asking me what is wrong and that I should cool down if its all about the usual moody causing suspects like money and woman palavar. I couldn't tell him. I couldn't tell anyone. Even now am telling you, I guess you dont know me so you wont have to laught or look at me with pity.

Later in the day I decided taken up the challenge of finding out what went wrong. I am just turning 31 years old but I think the image I saw was a 40-45 year old. (Hey don't go throwing suggestions at me because I am not sick from any terminal disease and yes i went for a check up and test recently and e no dey show for face!).

So what went wrong. Just this evening the answer to my ponderings came through. I was on the phone with my cousin of about the same age as moi who lives in Germany and he said he sent me his and wife's pictures to my e-mail. When I checked my mail I was stunned at how much better he looks since I saw him 1 year ago.

Men! Just one year that he left Naija for greener pastures.

My findings:
  1. Surviving Naija requires a lot of sacrifice and loss (Is it worth it)
  2. I am a reflection of Naija (my beloved country)
  3. Just like a lot other Nigerians I am caught up in the poverty trap Chasing Money instead of opportunities.
  4. If I continue this way. My grave is not far away?

My Resolve:

  1. Regain every loss by staying positive
  2. Become not a reflection of Naija's situation but a reflection of Naija's Bright future
  3. Chase opportunities (step out of the vicious circle)
  4. If I continue this way. My gain is not far away?

Peace!

3 comments:

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

"Become not a reflection of Naija's situation but a reflection of Naija's Bright future"

That is the goal or should be the goal of every young Nigerian! You MUST enter that into the Speak Up Nigeria Campaign. Or else, I will hound you.....

Anonymous said...

If u decide to settle down, someone's waiting for u here in jand o. lool

AIQ said...

Thanks guys for coming by. Wienna about the settling down gist. Emmm! mmm! we'll see sha!