Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2007

PUGILIST HONOURABLE LAWMAKERS: IN A SHOW OF SHAME

Today , I went to the National Assembly to see a friend of mine that is a personal staff to a Distinguished Senator of the Republic. Today I had an experience I will never forget.

My friend did not have much to do, so we gisted about opportunities and other things that could emanate from his work place (you know the usual opportunies - contracts, connections, employments, etc. Just comparing notes to see how we can run things.

After business as usual he informed me that today is the hearing for the over (N600m) six hundred million Naira contract scam against the Honourable Speaker of the Federal House of Representatives Hon (Mrs.) Patricia Ette. We decided to head to the Hearing Room 1.

We got there and to my amazement, the whole place is packed full to the brim. Come and see Naija in shapes, sizes even classes too. Interestingly these people all came to this hearing for different reasons. Some came to see that justice is done. Some are sympathisers who think the Lady is being victimized because she is a woman (the first female Speaker in the Federal House of Rep.). There were a load of journalists, cameramen, name it every media house is represented. I think I belong to the category of people that came to witness the hogwash called the legislative arm of the Government pretend as usual.

Just as we got in. We heard the chairman of the panel call up Madam Speaker to come and give her testimony. Immediately one of the honourable members in her group (She came with a group of supporters) Started hailing her with so much alacrity that I wondered if the ocassion was a chieftaincy or turbaning ceremony. Just at the same time the oposition from the other side of the room retorted with Ole! Ole! Ole! meaning thief! thief! theif! And so I watched as was mean't to be a panel of enquiries into the 634 million Naira contract scam against the Honourable Speaker of the Federal House of Representatives that has been a buzz for a while took a different turn when the two factions (supporters of the speaker & the opposing side) engaged in fist fights right in front of the cameras and whoever cares to watch.

The dishonourable acts showcased by the Honourable Members is nothing compared to the much anticipated October 6th Heavyweight Boxing encounter.

I enjoyed the fight! had I known, I could have placed a bet on one of the factions before it all started. Maybe bet on (with) Madam Speaker, I sure say she go remain after the whole tin don blow over. The hearing has been adjourned to a later date.

Like Nollywood would say at the end of every first movie "Watch out for Part II" "Grab Your Copy Now" "To God be the Glory"

2 comments:

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

lol! Oh Lord! Nigerian drama - To God be the Glory!!! hahaha

Nigerian politics has descended to fisticuffs, eh? I heard about this fight at African Loft and went straight to BBC.

Talking about drama, I'd like to get your opinion on my latest post - Political Soap Opera, Nigerian Style. Stop by my blog and drop a note.

Good post, man!

PS: Will you be participating in the Speak Up Nigeria project? You could win an Ipod! Visit www.nigerianlighthouse.org

AIQ said...

Thanks for dropping by Sol! Political Soap Opera? Interesting! It will be a pleasure to Participate at Speak Up Nigeria.